There are a million vegan cheese sauce recipes out there- and the key is to find a base that you like and make it your own based on your tastes. I have tried many cheese sauces over the years, and this recipe is basically a from memory mix up of every cheese recipe I have liked. So, thank you to all the vegan bloggers or recipe creators out there- you are my inspiration for this.
This sauce is perfect for mac and cheese, or nachos, or baked potatoes. With that said, I will eat this cheese sauce on basically everything.
Let me know what you think of this recipe if you try it!
Nut-free Cheese Sauce
- 1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into three pieces
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp spicy mustard
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder and onion powder
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4-1/2 cup unflavored, unsweetened plant milk (or water)
- In a large pot of water, boil the potato and carrot until very tender. Remove from the water, and allow the vegetables to cool until you can handle them with bare hands.
- Add the first 9 ingredients into a high powered blender, along with 1/4 cup of the plant milk or water to start. Blitz together for 2 minutes adding more plant milk or water a tbsp at a time until the consistency you desire is achieved. If you are making cheese for nachos, you’ll want it thicker. If you are making mac and cheese, you’ll want it a little thinner. Taste the cheese sauce and adjust seasoning if needed. Add more nutritional yeast for more cheesy flavor, more mustard or hot sauce for more spice, etc.
- Pour cheese sauce into a pot and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes before serving.