Valentine’s Day is coming up! Want to impress your significant other with a dinner that looks super fancy but is actually mostly hands off and super easy to make? Of course you do!
Most of the work in this dish is the prep work- peeling, soaking, roasting. Then, while it’s all in the oven, you can spend more time chatting and drinking wine. My favorite kinds of meals!
I made this meal with some farro I had in my pantry- I just cooked it according to the package directions and added in some salt and pepper and washed and dried beet leaves to wilt. You could make rice, barley, quinoa, whatever you have on hand will be perfect!
What I love about this recipe is how versatile it is. You could also use sliced acorn squash, sliced sweet potatoes, or any other root vegetable that you like!
So, get the peeler out, crank the oven, and pop open that bottle of wine.
Roasted Beets and Carrots with Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 4 red beets, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 4 golden beets, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 6 large carrots, peeled, and sliced into equal size pieces
- 1-2 tbsp oil
- pinch each of salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp water
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1.5 cup cooked grain (rice, farro, barley, quinoa) seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cups washed and dried beet leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place golden beets and carrots onto 2/3 of large baking sheet. Arrange red beets on the remaining edge of the baking sheet so they don’t turn the other vegetables red while baking. Drizzle oil over the vegetables and sprinkle on salt, pepper, and garlic salt to taste. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, flipping once after 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put cashews, parsley, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, water, salt and pepper into a high powered blender. Blitz until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Once the grain of choice is cooked and seasoned, add in the chopped beet leaves so they can wilt in the warm grains.
- Once the vegetables are finished, spread the cashew cheese sauce on the bottom of the plate, then add the grains and beet leaves in the center. Place the roasted veggies around the grains to make an instagram worthy plate!